After I wrote Responsive images with ExpressionEngine, I realised that this area of web development is likely to see a lot of experimentation and innovation with new techniques being released on a regular basis. Since writing the article, at least another two methods have come to light that I'm aware of, so I thought it'd be good to collate them all in one place.
- Responsive images by Filament Group
- Responsive images using CSS3 by Nicolas Gallagher
- Responsive images right now by Harry Roberts
- Responsive images using cookies by Keith Clark
- Adaptive images by Matt Wilcox
- Responsive context aware images without cookies of server logic by Vasilis van Gemert
- Responsive IMGs Part 2 — In-depth Look at Techniques by Jason Grigsby
- Adaptive Images for Responsive Designs… Again by Jake Archibald
- Creating responsive images using the noscript tag by Mairead Buchan
- Foresight by Adam Bradley
- Responsive and retina images with media queries and a spacer PNG by Matt Stow
- Responsiveimage by Paul Bridgestock
If anyone knows of any I've missed, I'd love to know so I can add them to the list.
Update 12 May 2012: Chris Coyier has published a comprehensive round-up of current methods, complete with spreadsheet and breakdown of which solutions would fit different situations better.