For those who know a bit about Steve Jobs, you will have recognised that the title of this mix references one of his more famous quotes. So yes, it is kind of a tribute, but I didn't think to myself when I heard the news:
“How could I honour the memory of Steve Jobs? I know! A psy trance mix!” I had planned to do the mix on the day he died anyway, and as I'm often in the habit of naming mixes after things that are going on at the time, and because the mix was done on a MacBook Pro, it seemed like an appropriate title.
I'm not going to say anything more about him or Apple as there's been plenty written in the past week already. I've been a Mac user since 1990 and for a while was quite the fanboi (before the term was even widely used), but although I'm back using a Mac again now, I was also a PC user for a number of years which has tempered my zealotry.
This mix features mainly free track from Ektoplazm, which is where I seem to be getting most of my new music from these days, but there's also a handful from Nick Sentience's Synchronized album which was also represented well in my last mix, and one track I wanted to make special mention of, Hypnotic by Magnus. I've got about half a dozen tunes by Magnus and they're all top notch, but not only is he a good producer, but seems like an all-round nice guy too because a couple of days after I'd done the mix, I got an email from him thanking me for supporting his music, and saying some nice things about my site and mixes, and how we shared similar taste in music. He also asked if I'd mind him posting about my site on his Facebook page, and I said
“Sure, why not?” and so he did. I also only realised when looking for an image for this post, that Hypnotic comes from the album Signal Strength which was released earlier this year, so will be checking that out tomorrow.
And in a very strange coincidence, a couple of hours later, I was contacted by another psy trance producer, BlackStarrFinale, who also thanked me for supporting his music which I featured on my mix Inner Peace. I've never been contacted by any dance music producers before and then had two, totally unrelated, within a couple of hours of each other. So thanks guys for taking the time out to say hello to someone on the other side of the world. :)
Tracklist is below and you can download it from the Mixes page.
- Static Flow – Music Technology [Nano Records]
- Magnus – Hypnotic [JOOF Recordings]
- Monkey Machine – Anaconda Allies [Altar Psychedelic]
- Psychotrop – Aural Pleasures [Psytrance.pl]
- Nick Sentience – Shoreline
- Melodica – Alfaville (Psycoholic Remix) [Psy Spy Records]
- Nick Sentience – Get Up & Rock
- Psycoholic – Sistema Nervoso (Dub Mix) [Psy Spy Records]
- Nick Sentience – Threshold
- Stellar Magnitude – Timeshift [Psytrance.pl]
- RAZ – There are No Weirdos Here [Side Wave Records]
- Paratech – Alchemy [Neurotrance Records]
- Tigran – Timestretching Machine [Neurotrance Records]
- Quality Sound – Not For Free [Cosmogenesis Recordings]
- 210 Mhz – OutOfHere [Pureuphoria Records]
- Chronos – 754-B [Dacru Records]
- Namarrkon – Dark Shogun [Pureuphoria Records]
- Hypnoxock – Traffic (Xock Acid remix) [Astronautic Records]
- RAZ – Static Noises [Side Wave Records]
- The 1134 – Primordial Booze
Update : I've just realised the link to this mix has been broken all this time. It's fixed up now.